Sunday, February 5, 2012

Valentine Skirt & Necklace

It's really only  been 1 1/2 years since I got my sewing machine, and I really only know the basics.  So, I'm proud to let you know that I ventured out and attempted something new.  I made a skirt for my daughter yesterday.  (she's only 18 months old, so let's be honest, this really wasn't anything too difficult)
I was completely unsure that it would work out, so I didn't take any during picture.  But here is the procedure I followed:

1.  I took a pair of her pants, and measured the waste & length.
2.  Determined the approximate length I wanted the skirt, and cut a strip of material that width.
3.  I decided to make the waste of the skirt 1 1/2 times the measurement of her pant waste, then I cut the material to that length.
4.  Sew the material into a tube, sewing wrong sides together.
5.  Turn down the top about 1/2 inch (enough room to insert elastic), and sew leaving a small gap to later thread the elastic through.
6.  Do a roll hem on the bottom of the skirt.
7.  Put a safety pin on the end of a piece of elastic, thread it through, determine desired length of elastic and then sew the elastic together.  Next sew up the "hole" where you inserted the elastic.
8.  I added a ruffle of ribbon to the bottom of my skirt, but this step could be skipped.

It's not the greatest skirt in the world, but it will do for valentine's day, and it looks pretty cute with her pink shirt and the necklace I made for her (which by the way you can purchase at bobbinsnbeads.weebly.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment